Sunday, March 27, 2011

Five Weeks Until Decision Day

Canadians will go to the polls to elect a federal government on May 2nd. Five weeks is a very short campaign time, especially when compared to the American system. Although, it could be argued that the Conservatives, who formed the now defeated government have been campaigning for at least the last six months. Evidently, the Conservatives, under Harper's banner (and often beneath his feet) will say they are the only ones who can be trusted to guide the economy and will also continue to say that we should all fear "the coalition." As for the Liberals, their approach will be to try to regain their traditional voters, and new ones too of course, by offering new programs (in a new budget) and by pledging there will not be a "coalition". The Liberals would not rule out working with other parties, and, I can assure you, that if they had to, the Conservatives would do the same thing. I have only a couple of points to make, so bear with me. Point Number One: In critical ways, the Conservatives did NOT "guide" the economy. We were saved from the most disastrous financial fallout by more cautious banking system rules (which the Conservatives wanted to change) and partly by sheer luck. The money that was poured out by the government after it denied the situation for months, may have made some difference, but there are economists who think it made only a very minor impact. Point Number Two: "The coalition." In theory, a formal coalition of Harper's Conservatives and the Layton's New Democrats is a possibility. In practice, I don't think it could work. Harper wouldn't bend far enough to the left to suit Layton. The Liberals and the New Democrats could form a coalition but Ignatieff assures us there will be no coalition. And furthermore, the Bloc Quebecois could not be a formal part of any coalition. I don't know which party will win. My biggest concern is that Harper is a stubborn ideologue. We have had pushy Prime Ministers before but no other Prime Minister has channeled so much power and control through the PMO (Prime Minister's Office). That is too unparliamentary to suit me. And when I add in the fact that the Conservatives were found to be - in contempt of parliament- and the leader of the Conservatives stated that "The Canadian public don't care about these manoeuvres in parliament," well, frankly, I become angry. I'm sure I'm not the only one who cares about how parliamentary democracy should work. Do you care? Til next time. (the para breaks have disappeared - sorry - it seems to be a Google problem)

4 comments:

Angela Addams said...

I care! And I'm quite angry at this election - it's an expense that we could do without!

I'm usually very certain of where my vote will go but not this time - this time I'm feeling rather lost, not sure which of the candidates will cause the least amount of damage. The choices are not great in my opinion but I will vote!

Anonymous said...

I've been seeing a lot of tweets about this lately. You are certainly NOT alone! Nor, should you be.

Falcata Times said...

To be honest I trust politicians as far as I can throw them. best thing that you can do is perhaps get the two leaders together and have them kicking each other in the nuts. It might be a silly way to decide but at least the people will be entertained plus theres the other option of they might not be so quick to call an election. LOL

Heidi said...

I'm in the same boat as you, and I think most Canadians feel the same. I wish all the parties could get new leaders, then maybe I would at least kind of like the person I was voting for. As for their 'promises' I don't believe a single one, I look at what they've done in the past and where their spending is, look at Layton and Ignatief and how much of 'our' money they spent on campaigning 'before' the election was called. I'm sure Harper did too, but I haven't looked into that one. Then amazingly our gas prices have skyrocted and I doubt it has anything to do with the Middle East. So much to think about, so little time, and such bad representation. I just shake my head in shame that this is my Country sometimes.