Friday, February 25, 2011

Eyes Front! Part One

On Wednesday March 2nd, I'll have my first cataract surgery. The operation takes only about 10 to 15 minutes. If you live to be over 60, or in some cases, even 40, you too can have this experience. It's the most common eye problem. Fortunately, thanks to new surgical techniques the success rate is very high. A small incision is made, then ultrasound is used to break up the cloudy lens. It is then sucked out and a new clear lens is inserted. And voila - the world becomes clearer and brighter, though in my case, not any closer.

My left eye is a "lazy eye." I've always hated that term. It implies that the eye could do better but won't. That's not the case of course. Amblyopia, the official medical name for the condition, must be treated in early childhood. Mine was not and so my eye turns inward at times and doesn't work well with the other eye. It is also has low vision and is misaligned.

So, I chose to have that eye operated on first. I collected all my prescription eye drops on Wednesday. There are three kinds and a detailed list of instructions. My surgeon has done a lot of this work and his office gave me a four colour page in large print that makes it easy to see what to use and when. There are also 10 Tylenol 2's. Wheee! Even one of those gives me very wild dreams, but I have no objection to that. I do object to receiving the meds in a child-proof bottle because I'll have a heck of a time opening it, if I need to.

I'm glad my surgeon is experienced and familiar with all the latest technology. He's not green and he's not grey so he's just right, I hope.

I've read a fair bit about what one is supposed to do and not do after the surgery, but have yet to receive the surgeon's instructions. Apparently, I'll get those immediately after the surgery. And I'll be seeing him the next day, although I don't have an appointment time yet.

I'm trying hard not to think too much about the fact they won't be using a general anesthetic. I'd rather be asleep, but will have to be awake but "relaxed." I haven't been told what they'll give me to achieve a relaxed state. I vote for a heavy duty drug.

After the surgery, I'm supposed to have someone with me until the next morning. The Viking has volunteered.

I suspect I'll have to limit my computer use for a while but don't know for sure.

I'll post Part Two sometime after the first surgery. I'm looking forward to a more vivid spring.

Til next time.



8 comments:

Lori Hahnel said...

You have my best wishes for your surgery, Diane. I'll be thinking of you. And I'm sure you're looking forward to the improvement after you recover!

Casi said...

Best wishes for your surgery, enjoy your pills.

It's got to be even scarier than my tonsil surgery a few months ago.

I'll certainly have to think of you when you go in for surgery.

T. Crosby said...

No worries, be over before you have time to stress. Promise. :)

Hugs, good luck, and let us know how it goes. :)

Falcata Times said...

Best of luck with the surgery and thanks for cheering me up, I'm only four years away from the lowest age :(

Lily Whalen said...

I was wondering what kind of procedure you were having that would only take 10 minutes.

I'm like you and would like a general anesthetic while they work on one's eyes. I hope you'll get the heavy duty drug you require in order to relax.

I'm sure all will go well, since you have such an experienced surgeon. Do keep us posted and enjoy your new and improved vision :)

livyparker said...

Diane - it will go just fine.

I've had Lasik eye surgery done twice (although not for cataracts) and it's not as bad as it seems.

It's weird, for sure, but over with so quickly... And remember, you can ask for drugs!

Good luck :)

Heidi said...

I hope all goes well with the surgeries and the recovery.

Akeyla

J.A. Campbell said...

Good luck!! I'm sure everything will turn out great :)

Julie/Firewolf