Monday, September 28, 2009

Word On The Street - in the library and in the park



On Saturday morning, Margaret Atwood read at the downtown library. The auditorium was full. Nancy and I watched her on live video in another room. M.A. was witty and enjoyable. I'm not sure if a certain local television personality, who asked her a couple of questions afterward, would agree, but since his tone of voice was somewhat patronizing (we older women are sensitive to those things) he shouldn't have been surprised when she zapped him for being inaccurate. Many of her anecdotes are obviously well-honed but they work well. She also talked about the emergence of CanLit and how little of it there was before 1960.

An acquaintance told me that M.A. signed books for an hour and a half after the reading and was very gracious to everyone who had waited in line.

If you are interested in what writers wear to these events, here's what M.A. had on - a long tunic top, pants, and flat black oxford-type shoes - not memorable, but very comfortable. Since she is on an exhausting multi-city tour to promote her latest book, I'm sure comfort is important.

Sunday afternoon, we went to the Word on the Street event in Victoria Park. The weather was uncertain, which may have kept some people away. But, there was a good crowd and lots of exhibitors. The New Quarterly had a booth and so did Brucedale Press. I was glad to discover that Brucedale Press is doing well, in spite of the current economic downturn. (They publish work about the Bruce Peninsula area, by writers from 'the Bruce' and environs.) There were two booths with information about Islam, and one booth with information and books on creationism. There was an adult authors' tent, and a children's authors tent where writers gave readings. The writers' collective from the library also had a tent where some members read from their work. The local paper, The Record, had a tent too. Reporters and editors answered questions and talked about journalism. That's where Nancy and I spent most of our time, because she wanted more information about the journalism profession.

I collected a couple of freebies. Zoomer magazine is much better than I expected it would be, now that Moses Znaimer is President and CEO of the Canadian Association of Retired People. The slogan: You've aged differently. Now read differently. I think Moses would also like to change CARP's name, and will stand by for that. I also picked up a copy of Grand magazine, a glossy locally-focused mag which has almost 20,000 circulation. It's purty all right, but I wouldn't subscribe to it.

Before we left the park, I bought a new Word on the Street tee-shirt and tote bag. Both for only $10.00, tax included. I'm happy that I could help support WOTS.

There is also a theatre festival going on in town, from Sept 24 to October 3, Impact 09. I didn't know about it until Friday when I was in City Hall and noticed a sign for the 24 hour play writing competition. Several writers were at work in the rotunda. I applaud them for their ability to work in such a public setting, but have no idea how they manage to do it.

As for my own writing, well, I drafted a new story this month and have also revised and sent out a couple of my older stories. So, I've completed part of the list that stares at me from my bulletin board. It's time to get back to work.

3 comments:

Falcata Times said...

Hi Diane,
Theres nothing worse than a journalist that either hasn't done thier research or is condesending to the point of obnoxiousness.

The old what should a writer wear thing has been a thorn in a few peoples sides before now. Some think that you should dress smartly (wearing a tie if you're male), others take the comfy attitude, personally the angle I go with is the what do I normally wear. Since I'm a person who choses comfort thats what I'd wear to a signing. LOL

Michelle said...

Ugh! Biz attire! Not for me, thanks! I'd rather be comfortable than pretending to be someone I'm not.

Liz Betz said...

Worlds away in Alberta, I found your blog. Hi Diane, It's Liz (sometimes visitor at LCW) and I'm a little envious of your city life. While you can go and see MA, I get to watch for deer in my path on my way to town which consists of exactly enough services to get a person by. Thanks for the notes. I'm waiting for test results but my heart says I'm fine. I've written a 'ghost' story -version one -and am also working on a collection of thoughts about moving past disordered thinking. At any rate, I'll be following your blog. Officially or not.
Love

Liz