Saturday, December 06, 2008

A Weird Start to December

I don't know about you, but I'll certainly remember this week. It sure was weird. Many of us, --well I was anyway-- were glued to the news as our Parliamentarians bashed each other, and the nation. I'm disappointed with almost every darn one of them, and with a lot of my fellow Canadians too. It's not over of course. My Christmas wish is for an end to the divisiveness that's still being actively promoted.

In other, and also weird news, the government in it's great wisdom (yes, that's sarcasm) has decided that I am not eligible for the Guaranteed Income Supplement because I took a one-time lump-sum amount out of my RRSP in 2007 . I declared the income on my tax return and income tax had been deducted at source. They have again added that amount into my 2008 income. I didn't get that money this year and I fail to see why it is counted as 2008 income. Isn't that penalizing me twice? I thought that was illegal but have been informed I should refer to Bill C-36, passed by guess whom in July 2008, which says the lump sum I received in 2007 must be included in my estimated income (for 2008). Yikes! Have I talked about this before, perhaps I'm becoming demented and can apply for help on those grounds? On the same day that the benevolent government rejected my appeal, they sent me the Bear's tax refunds for the last twelve years. The amount, which is greater than my entire income this year, included exactly $17.32 cents in interest. The money would probably have collected more if it had been kept in a mattress - at least it would have accumulated some lint.

This afternoon I might put up the Christmas tree or work on my novel, if I can manage to focus. Or I could look for a main dish recipe to feed six or maybe eight people. I'm having the family here for dinner, so Frank and Sam each count as two when portions are considered.

And this just in, as they say on the news, my downstairs neighbour called a minute ago and asked me if I wanted her ticket to the symphony tonight because she cannot go. I have the ticket now. It's the KW Symphony- Jazz meets Orchestra concert. That certainly perks up my Saturday. Hope yours contained a good surprise too.

Keep warm folks.

No comments: