Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Recommended Reading

A few weeks ago, a friend recommended a book called The Kite Runner by Khaled Hossein. It isn't a new book, since it was published in 2001 but it certainly is relevant. The story is set in Afghanistan and reading it gave me a different picture of that country and its peoples and the long long roots of hatred between groups. The only quibble I had was that one of the characters seemed too good and selfless to be true.

Then yesterday on one of the internet bulletin boards I read, I found mention of this blog by an Iraqui woman. I only hope that she can continue to write and remain anonymous and safe. I haven't read all her blog entries yet, but I plan to. Some of her blogs were published in her prize winning book, Baghdad Burnng

Here's the link. http://riverbendblog.blogspot.com/